The first meal of the Wade’s Fabulous International Cuisine Tour is Philippines. The menu: Pineapple, Cucumber, and Basil Salad, Filipino Adobo Chicken, and San Miquel beer. Magandang Kumakain!
Pineapple, Cucumber, and Basil Salad
Serves 2 generously. Preparation time: 10 minutes. Cook time: 5 minutes.
- 1/2 pineapple, cored and cut into 1/2-inch quarters
- 1 medium cucumber, English style, peeled, seeded, halved lengthwise, and sliced on the bias
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, rough chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat a grill pan over high heat. Place pineapple on pan and grill until grill marks appear (about 2 minutes per side). Set aside to cool. In a salad bowl toss cucumber, basil, evoo, and salt with cooled pineapple. Sprinkle with pepper.
(Located in Southeast Asia the Philippines is comprised of over 7,600 islands. It is about 8,430 miles from New Braunfels, Texas.)
Filipino Adobo Chicken
Serves 2. Preparation time: 10 minutes. Cook time: 45 minutes.
- 2 organic chicken thighs
- 2 organic chicken drumsticks
- 3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 medium cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns, crushed lightly
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Combine in a large pot the chicken, vinegar, garlic, bay leaf, peppercorns, and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, cover, and cook for 20 minutes. Add the soy sauce, cover, and simmer 15 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate. Bring the liquid to a boil and reduce to 1 cup (about 10 minutes). Remove bay leaf and skim fat from surface. Set aside.
Heat the vegetable oil over high heat until hot but not smoking. Pat the chicken dry and sautée in oil, turning it for 5 minutes, or until well browned. Transfer chicken to a rimmed platted, pour the heated sauce over it and serve with white rice.
(The capital city is Manila, although the largest is Quezon City at about 2.7 million people. It is the 12th most populated country in the world.)
Ginataang Kalabassa (squash in coconut milk)
Serves 2. Preparation time: 10 minutes. Cook time: 25 minutes.
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 small white onion. chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger root, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 dried serrano chiles
- 1-1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
In a large pan sautée onions over medium about 10 minutes, or until just translucent. Add garlic and ginger cooking for 5 minutes. Add tomato, squash, chicken stock, and 1 cup of coconut milk. Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer for fifteen minutes, or until squash is just tender. Add remainder of coconut milk and serranos. Bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes.
(The Philippines is considered a middle power country. It is a founding member of United Nations and World Trade Organization.)